Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Mother of all Comments

Mayor C. Ray Nagin has proclaimed Gustav "the Mother of all Hurricanes." Even for a man given to hyperbole, that is a serious statement. Wunderground says it will be a cat 4, slamming the central Louisiana coast and propelling huge amounts of water into Lake Pontchartrain.

My friends here at the beach are giving me grief for checking the internet so often, telling me that I need to relax - we're on vacation! Well, I just can't get there, mentally. Pretty much everything I know and love and have worked for is threatened with destruction.

Correction/Update: Nagin actually called it "the Mother of All Storms." And "the Storm of the Century." And, in classic, fearless leader-ly fashion, he urged everyone to "get your butts out of New Orleans right now." Nagin also made some bold statements about the size of the storm's footprint, as he called it, leading an actual hurricane expert questions the accuracy of those statements. I understand the need to motivate people to take this storm and evacuation seriously, but how about we all agree to leave the technical stuff to the experts, eh?

1 comment:

jackie said...

no relaxing going on in Montgomery.